Home - VIS Vatican - Receive VIS - Contact us - Calendar

The Vatican Information Service is a news service, founded in the Holy See Press Office, that provides information about the Magisterium and the pastoral activities of the Holy Father and the Roman Curia...[]

Last 5 news

VISnews in Twitter Go to YouTube

Monday, March 1, 2010

HELP FOR IRAQI CHRISTIANS AND CHILEAN EARTHQUAKE VICTIMS


VATICAN CITY, 28 FEB 2010 (VIS) - In remarks following today's Angelus prayer, the Pope mentioned the recent killing of a number of Christians in Iraq, and the people affected by an earthquake in Chile.

  "With great sadness did I learn the tragic news of the killing of a number of Christians in the city of Mosul, and with great concern have I followed other episodes of violence committed against defenceless people of various religious confessions in the martyred land of Iraq. Over these days of intense meditation I often prayed for all the victims of those attacks, and today I wish to unite myself spiritually to the prayer for peace and the return of security promoted by the Council of Bishops of Nineveh. I remain affectionately close to the Christian communities of the entire country. Never tire of being a leaven for good in the homeland to which you, for many centuries, fully and rightly belong.

  "In this delicate political phase that Iraq is currently experiencing", he added, "I appeal to the civil authorities to make every effort to restore security to the population, in particular to the most vulnerable religious minorities, My hope is that no-one succumb to the temptation to make temporary and partisan interests prevail over the safety and fundamental rights of each citizen. Finally, as I greet the Iraqis present here in St. Peter's Square, I exhort the international community to do everything possible to give Iraqis a future of reconciliation and justice, as I trustingly invoke the precious gift of peace from Almighty God".

  The Holy Father then went on to mention the people affected by the recent earthquake in Chile, "which caused great loss of human life and vast material damage. I pray for the victims and remain spiritually close to the people so sorely tried by such a serious calamity. I ask God to being them relief in their suffering and courage in adversity; and I am sure that no lack of solidarity will be shown, especially by ecclesial organisations".
ANG/IRAQ CHILE/...                        VIS 20100301 (350)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © VIS - Vatican Information Service