VATICAN CITY, FEB 2, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Accepted the resignation from the office of auxiliary of the archdiocese of Detroit, U.S.A., presented by Thomas J. Gumbleton, upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Msgr. Anthony Chirayath, bureau chief at the Pontifical Council for the Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant Peoples, as bishop of the eparchy of Sagar of the Syro-Malabars (area 39,020, population 4,538,500, Catholics 6,710, priests 36, permanent deacons 1, religious 249), India. The bishop-elect was born in Aranattukara, India in 1941 and ordained a priest in 1970. He succeeds Bishop Joseph Pastor Neelankavil, C.M.I., whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same diocese, the Holy Father accepted, in accordance with canon 210 para. 1 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches.
- Appointed Fr. Peter Machado of the clergy of Karwar, India, pastor at Kone, as bishop of Belgaum (area 44,215, population 11,939,363, Catholics 29,525, priests 120, religious 426), India. The bishop-elect was born in Honavar, India in 1954 and ordained a priest in 1978.
- Appointed Jose Colin Mendoza Bagaforo of the clergy of the archdiocese of Cotabato, Philippines, vicar general, as auxiliary of the same archdiocese (area 8,889, population 1,809,618, Catholics 823,640, priests 71, religious 167). The bishop-elect was born in Cotabato in 1954 and ordained a priest in 1980.
- Archbishop Odon Marie Arsene Razanakolona of Antananarivo, Madagascar, as member of the Special Council for Africa of the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops.
RE:NER:NEA:NA/.../... VIS 20060202 (250)