VATICAN CITY, JAN 16, 2006 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of Saint-Flour, France presented by Bishop Rene Sejourne, upon having reached the age limit.
- Appointed Fr. John Hung Shan-chuan S.V.D., director of the Catholic school of Kiayi and teacher at the Catholic Universtiy of Taipei, Taiwan, as bishop of Kiayi (area 3,244, population 1,573,098, Catholics 10,033, priests 57, religious 58), Taiwan. The bishop-elect was born in Penghu, Taiwan in 1943 and ordained a priest in 1973.
On Saturday, January 14, it was made public that he:
- Appointed Msgr. Marlo Mendoza Peralta of the clergy of the diocese of Urdaneta, Philippines, vicar general and pastor, as coadjutor bishop of Alaminos (area 2,449, population 562,364, Catholics 445,573, priests 37, religious 82), Philippines. The bishop-elect was born in San Carlos, Philippines, in 1950 and ordained a priest in 1975.
- Appointed Msgr. Roberto Calara Mallari of the clergy of the archdiocese of San Fernando, Philippines, pastor of the parish of Our Lord's Ascension, as auxiliary of San Fernando (area 2,180, population 3,000,000, Catholics 2,800,000, priests 162, religious 204). The bishop-elect was born in Masantol, Philippines, in 1958 and ordained a priest in 1982.
- Appointed Hsin-Chi Kuan, president of the department of government and public administration at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, China, as an ordinary member of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences.
Cardinal Varkey Vithayathil, C.SS.R., major archbishop of the Syro-Malabar Church, with the consent of the permanent synod and in conformity with canon 210 of the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches, accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the archdiocese of Kottayam of the Syro-Malabars, India, presented by Metropolitan Archbishop Kuriakose Kunnacherry. He is succeeded by Coadjutor Archbishop Mathew Moolakkattu O.S.B.
RE:NER:NEC:NEA:NA/.../... VIS 20060116 (310)