VATICAN CITY, JUN 21, 2005 (VIS) - The Holy Father:
- Accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the diocese of Reno, U.S.A., presented by Bishop Phillip Francis Straling, in accordance with Canon 401, para. 2 of the Code of Canon Law.
- Appointed Bishop Walter Allison Hurley, auxiliary of the archdiocese of Detroit, U.S.A., as bishop of Grand Rapids (area 17,592, population 1,283,717, Catholics 162,670, priests 136, permanent deacons 29, religious 289), U.S.A.
- Appointed Msgr. John Gerard Noonan, president-rector of the Saint John Vianney College Seminary, as auxiliary of the archdiocese of Miami (area 12,836, population 4,036,799, Catholics 856,783, priests 361, permanent deacons 142, religious 509), U.S.A. The bishop-elect was born in Limerick, Ireland, in 1951 and ordained a priest in 1983.
- Appointed Professor Giovanni Rocchi and Dr. Franco Berti, respectively, as director and vice director for health care and hygiene of the Governorate of Vatican City State.
- Appointed Msgr. Giulio Viviani, official of pontifical ceremonies, as chaplain of the Gendarmerie of Vatican City State.
RE:NER:NEA:NA/.../... VIS 20050621 (170)